Saturday, September 19, 2009

Dieting Your Luggage

I used to be a terrible packer. I would pack in everything I want to bring. I'd even have choices for outfits! So I've experienced paying for extra baggage a couple of times already.

My day of reckoning came when I gave my best friend a hard time when she helped me carry my baggage across the street to her flat in Singapore. We were scared that we might get arrested because my luggage was bulging.

Here are some tricks I learned along the way:

1. Just fill up 50% of your bag. Why? So you'll have space for pasalubong and souvenirs. I got that tip from Boy Abunda who mentioned it in one of his shows.

2. Plan your outfits. Know the weather before flying in so you'd know what to bring. Instead of bringing a bulky jacket I just bring around a shawl. Sticking to a color scheme also helps.

3. Try to use only the pair of shoes that you travel in. Extra shoes take up a lot of space especially sneakers/rubber shoes.

4. If you are staying at a hotel find out what toiletries they provide. You definitely don't need a huge shampoo or lotion bottle. Transfer them in small bottles or just bring sachets.

5. Towels take up a lot of space. Only bring one if you are staying with a friend.

6. Bring just one reading material/book, unless you are a speed reader. More often than not you really won't have time to read except in the airport or plane.

7. Try to charge all of your gadgets before your trip so you won't have to bring all of the plugs.

Number 1 Rule is: Bring only what is necessary.

I used to think that it was impossible for me NOT to check in baggage. But I can proudly say that I've done it twice! Wee!

Happy trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment